" I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that LOVING is the best calorie burner. I believe kissing. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn

Friday, August 21, 2009

"I think I could be a Mormon"

I remember the day I entered the MTC (just over 5 years ago, sheesh, that is crazy) and being so excited to go and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those who may or may have not ever heard of it before. I cried saying goodbye to my sweet family as I walked through the "Missionarie Here" door, and the departed through the "Families Exit Here" door - I didnt have a doubt in my mind that I was doing the right thing, but boy was I going to miss them! 2 minutes later, I walked out the doors to go find my room and guess who I saw? My Casey! My fears quickly faded and he had to quickly remind me that I couldnt hug him! BUMMER! Anyway, its nice to see a familiar face at a moment like that. I walked in and met my "companion" where I quickly learned that I was got to have 2 while in the MTC - I loved these girls, and learned so much from them - Later we met our District whom would all be leaving to Texas with us and that same day, ond Elder shared with us that he was the only 'member' in his family...another missionary said "How did that happen? How come you haven't converted them yet?" I chimed in and said "It's not as easy as you think, sharing your beliefs with your family." The dear Elder who was the only member, quickly agreed with me while the questioning Elder gave me a huge look of dissatisfaction and disgust.
I will never forget that conversation. And for those of you who were born into the convenant, that may be hard for you to believe. But each of us are put here under different circumstances and I truly beileve that one of my tests was to 'teach' what I can by example and faith to my non-member family and pray that one day, they too will see the "light".
Now, my mom was baptized when she was 16 with her mom and dad who asked a missionary (Govenor Levitt) to come to their Bible Study group to help them with some questions about the Bible. He and his companion came, and soon enough - a deep admiration came for this missionary. Soon enough, the entire bible study group was converted along with my mom.
My dad never did get baptized, he doesnt really believe in organized religion, and I respect that. His parents, Papa and Grandma Shirley have gone between the Baptist congregation and Luthern congregation, stayed put for the duration of the preachers stay and then found a new one. The only time they had been in a LDS church, was when I was baptized.
They came to visit last month!

It was SO good to see them, I love hugging my PAPA, it is so sincere. I love his eye and hand wrinkles that show years and years of hard work out in the pasture and field - It makes me smile just thinking of him. I suggested that we go down to Temple square as it was my Grandma's first visit to Utah and she said "I would love to see the Temple" - So we went, we walked around the Visitors Center, took a picture in front of the Temple and I answered questions as they asked, (I am not one to give more information than is necessary, nor do I push anything upon anyone) - They asked wonderful questions about what goes on in side of the Temple, why did Joseph Smith and Brigahm Young not like each other at first, ect - I loved answering their questions. It made more sense to them as we had spent the day before touring the Oquirrah Mountain Temple. I cup was filled as they asked and then pondered...I cant wait to send them the beautiful picture I took of them holding hands at the reflecting pool with the Temple in the background and explaining the symbolism to them! What a great evening that was!
I didnt know what they really thought at the end of the day, until we were driving home from Yellowstone and my Grandma started asking me about my mission, I told her wonderful stories, good ones and bad ones...At the end of the conversation, she said she was going to look up at home to see where the closest "Mormon Church" was to her and go check it out - So I had to tell her that our church isnt the same as the ones that she has, and explained the order or events and how we have different speakers each week, she thought that was very neat. I continued to tell her about Relief Society and how much I love it and what goes on in there - She ended the conversation with "I think I would really like Relief Society, I think I could be a Mormon!" My heart was so full, and my eyes filled with tears. I put my hand on her knee and said "So do I." Next year Casey and I are going down to Nacadoches Texas, where we will attend church with them...I cant wait to see what happens!

5 Love Notes:

Summer said...

Sounds like you've got a sweet family, Rachelle! It's nice to hear how much patience and understanding you guys have for each other- not to mention love. ;)

kalie said...

Aw, Shelby! I got a warm fuzzy from that post!

Lauren said...

I loved that post! I had tears in my eyes at the end:). That is so cool! I want to hear your missionary stories!

Jessica Peterson said...

that's awesome!

Hollie said...

That's great Rachelle. I'm really happy for you and hope that things progress with your grandparents. Thanks for sharing the story.