" I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that LOVING is the best calorie burner. I believe kissing. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn

Friday, May 1, 2009

Little life satisfactions!

I get joy out of the littlest things in life. I don’t talk about them nearly as often as I should – but for the mere fact that I cant get these out of my head…

I want to tell you all what some of those little things were, that I enjoyed this week!
(In no particular order)
1. Sour Patch Kids – My sugar free husband has been patiently listening to me complain about my deprivation of no sugar the last 4 months, on Monday when we to Wal-Mart he let me go to the candy aisle to see if they had any of those miniature packages of Sour Patch Kids that I so much LOVE!!! They didn’t and I was super bummed!
2. My most favorite things about going to the store is after we pick a line to check out at, I grab a magazine and catch up on the latest gossip and trends while my honey unloads the cart and pays…On Monday, I was so caught up in the magazine that I didn’t even notice the miniature package of Sour Patch Kids on the bottom rack in the check out line…Casey grabbed one for me. I promptly opened them on our way out of the store and enjoyed every second sucking the sugar off that sour yet sweet treat (my mouth is totally watering right now) – It took me 3 days to eat that TINY bag! That’s pretty impressive. And as for Casey, he didn’t eat one of them! He seriously can not be tempted!
3. As scared as I was at the fact that Casey got laid off a couple of months ago and hasn’t been able to find a decent paying job since – we have been blessed in SO MANY ways! I think the thing I appreciate the most though is the time we have got to spend with each other, between school and work for the both of us the last 2 ½ years, we never really got to just enjoy one another’s company, unless we were at a family function. Now, I come home and Casey has taken care of 90% of the household chores for the day and has dinner cooking – then, we have ALL night to do whatever we please – and I LOVE IT!!!
4. Casey came with me to my hair appointment yesterday just because he “wanted to be with me”! I warned him that I would be there for a couple of hours, but he insisted. 3 hours later, he told me he would never do that again. HAHA
5. I hate how long my hair appointments take when I color my hair! I seriously have SO MUCH HAIR!!! It is so thick and it probably doesn’t help that it hits in the middle of my back, but I love just sitting in the chair relaxing! Trinity (my hair dresser)(oh, and no he isn’t gay) give the BEST head messages! He even got the knots out of my neck last night! DIVINE!!! I’m totally impressed with my new color too! For those of you who haven’t seen me in a couple of months – in October I dyed my hair a couple shades light of black – which shockingly, I LOVED…but for the new season I wanted to lighten things up! Trinity totally (once again) amazed me by turning my black hair about 8 shades lighter and me actually liking it! I was SO scared that it would look horrible with the contrast but you can barely even tell! Thanks Trinity, you are totally worth EVERY dollar!
6. Another joy of mine is spending time with my little sister Alyssa – we’re going shopping together tomorrow! I love hearing about her new adventures at school and he determination to have her associates by the time she graduates high school! (This is totally a past joy, but I am so glad I was taught the importance of school! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!) Anyway, I love hearing about her “boy” stories too! Remember those days? Im glad they are WAY over, but to hear her talk about her butterflies in her tummy, make me giddy!
Last but not least, my most favorite joy of the week was going to my parents sacrament meeting on Sunday. My mom and dad were asked to speak on the trials and tribulations that came last year (which included my moms battle with cancer, the loss of my dads father to a stroke, and the loss of my dads little sister to pancreatic cancer, my dads layoff that happened 2 months after moms diagnosis and anything else the felt necessary.) They seriously had the whole chapel in tears – and not to be bias, but it was BY FAR the two BEST talks I have ever heard. I know it is always different hearing a talk given by a family member, and especially on a topic that is so close to your heart, but is WAS SO POWERFUL. They did share (very briefly) their trials so everyone could understand why they were asked to talk on it – but they focused on the positive and taught by the scriptures why we have trials and why it is important that we have those trials! I left with such a deeper respect and love for my parents – a love I didn’t think could actually get any deeper than it already was. How blessed I am to have such amazing parents! Both of whom are converts and both of whom have had many trials that have taught them to be the amazing people that they are – I love that I have NEVER heard them judge a single person - they don’t care about the mistakes a person has made, they have always welcomed anyone into their home and as far as I know, have never made anyone feel uncomfortable for not believing something different than they do. Mom, I know you’ll read this, and as little as that sounds, it has made such an impact on my life!

8 Love Notes:

kalie said...

I love this post for many reasons. First, your hair dresser is named Trinity. Next, your husband goes shopping with you (Kevin would rather die!). Finally, I have found a Sour Patch Sister. If I were stranded on a desert island, that's the treat I would take.

Vrska's said...

Thanks so much for posting all that. It made me sit here at work and think of all the things are am so grateful for. Your parents are awesome and have been through so much!! Hope Casey finds a job soon, we will be thinking of yah!!

Summer said...

That was so sweet about your parents- I don't think your praise sounds "little" at all! It seems like a huge thing to have such loving parents as good examples! That's awesome that you shared your appreciaton for them with us. :)

Erin said...

I LOVE sour patch kids. I can eat a whole bag of those or sour watermelons on my own.

Best of luck on the job search. That is nice that Casey is able to help out at home and spend more time with you.

Lauren said...

That was so fun to read! So cool of you to write down all of the little things in life that are happy, I need to do that more often. Your family has been through a lot it sounds like, you guys are amazing!

me said...

loved this post.

me said...

oh, i am jealous of the hair thing. i look like a rag doll right now (a very round rag doll). i am dying to do something with my hair. i will just live through you though i suppose.

Brynn said...

Mark lost his job right before Christmas and couldn't find a job either. He ended up having to work 2 "dinky" jobs to be able to take care of us. Anyways, I had no idea you guys had the same going on! Good luck!